TERMS OF REFERENCE – PROJECT COORDINATOR
The Government of Sierra Leone is taking steps to address youth unemployment, which include among others setting up a dedicated Youth Ministry and a National Youth Commission, in order to address increasing youth vulnerabilities; putting into place targeted youth employment programs; enactment of the national employment policy, which aims at addressing and improving labor relations and conditions of service of workers; enactment of a National Local Content Policy for Sierra Leone, which aims at ensuring that there are linkages between foreign companies or enterprises and the local economy, thus promoting employment of Sierra Leone citizens through participation in the private sector. Successful implementation of youth employment programs and enacted policies however require availability of skilled and employable Sierra Leoneans to take advantage of emerging opportunities for employment and/or entrepreneurship. Skills development is therefore essential.
The Bandajuma -Liberia Border road is a large infrastructural development project launched by the Government of Sierra Leone with support from the European Union (EU). Financed under the European Development Fund (EDF), the projects are aimed at restoring major national axis and promoting regional integration. Currently, social measures such as construction of facilities for communities along the road, training of youths (on a very small scale) etc. are being included in the Bandajuma project, which are being implemented. It is envisaged that similar measures will be included under the Moyamba project. This action will be part of these socio-economic measures under the works contracts and is to execute a Youth Skills Development & Training Programme on these three major road projects.
The National Youth Commission has in this regard received a grant from the European Union through the National Authorising Office (NAO), the principal management and executing agency within the framework of the co-operation between the European Union (EU) and the various ACP states and CompagnieSahélienned’Entreprises (CSE)CSE, the Works Contractor for the Bandajuma-Liberia Roads Project for the Youth Skills Development Training. This project is aimed at contributing to the Government of Sierra Leone’s efforts to create decent jobs and sustainable incomes for the youth.
The National Youth Commission – the implementing agency, is therefore seeking the services of a Project Coordinator to support the implementation of the Project.
The objective of the Youth Skills Development along the Bandajuma-Liberia Border is to contribute to the economic transformation that creates decent jobs and increase productivity.
- Scope of Work
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for supervising the implementation of the project targets/outcomes. The Coordinator will facilitate coordination, technical assistance to support the implementation of the project. The Project Coordinator will report to the Programme Manager and the Commissioner.
His/her core responsibilities include the following:
a. Strategic Planning and Coordination of the Project, including:
- Provide strategic guidance and support to NAYCOM Management to implement the project;
- Provide, on regular basis, advice, information and technical support for the CSE/contractors Site Engineers, SLRA and other contractors;
- Lead the effective implementation and technical oversight of the project in collaboration with other stakeholders for sustainability;
- Identify appropriate benchmarks and data to measure project progress in alignment with NAYCOM’s overarching theory of change.
b. External Relations and Partnerships Building, including:
- Serve as a key consultant and interlocutor with NAYCOM, in harnessing and strengthening strategic partnerships with other community stakeholders;
- Advise on high-level communications and media campaign to increase the profile of the project essential to demonstrate project results and donor visibility;
c. Project Management, Planning and Monitoring, including:
- Monitor progress of the activities by reviewing, verifying and analyzing work-plans, progress reports, final reports and other data for clarity, consistency and completeness;
- Provide support on the knowledge management related aspects of the project, including web-based communication on objectives, activities and achievements;
- Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly reports on project progress to NAYCOM;
d. Qualifications and Experience
The Project Coordinator will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline, e.g. Economics, Business Development, Development Studies, Social Sciences with demonstrated expertise in Youth Employment and Empowerment;
- Professional qualification in Program Management will be an advantage;
- At least Three years’ experience, two of which is in program Management & Skills Development
- Recognized experience in the design, evaluation, implementation and ex-post evaluation of development projects and programs;
- Proven track record in working effectively within multidisciplinary teams;
- Excellent Computer Skills
- Preferred Skills:
- Geographical exposure in professional field both at National and International levels.
- Knowledge and Exposure to Environmental & Social related issues pertaining to Industries / Entrepreneurship;
- Dealing with Complex issues, Analysing Information, Vision and Performance Management.
- Excellent managerial, inter-disciplinary, computer, written and communication skills
- A good knowledge of English, communication skill in local languages will be an asset
- Inter-cultural and constructive thinking skills with team working spirit
The Project Coordinator shall be engaged with the project for a period of one year with possibility of extension based on performance or as required by the project.
6. Tentative Date of Commencement: July 2020
The Project Coordinator will be based Bo/Bandajuma.The assignment shall be carried out along the Bandajuma –Liberia Border Road. The National Youth Commission of Sierra Leone will provide office space for the Project Coordinator.
8. How to apply:
Kindly attach your expression of interest and any necessary documentation and address to the Human Resource Office, National Youth Commission, Stadium Swimming Pool, Freetown.
Closing date for expression of interest in 10th July 2020.